Assessment of nutritional status
- It should include posture, skeletal deformities (e.g., scoliosis) and contractures.
- Assess subcutaneous cellular tissue and muscle mass.
- Presence of deficiency signs.
How to assess deficiency signs?
Significant deficiency signs: pallor and eczemas, thinning hair, angular stomatitis, rickety
Global malnutrition can be observed by touching the skin and adipose paniculus especially on arms, groin and glutes.
- Presence of signs of dehydration.
- Oral alterations (ex: gingival, dental) and oral acid odour.
- Presence of decubitus ulcers.
- Assess signs of fecal retention.