THE FIRST STEP IN THE MANAGEMENT OF DYSPHAGIA IS TO SPOT THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS.
Pay particular attention to the following: *
- Drooling or pocketing of food
- Difficulty chewing or painful swallowing
- Coughing or choking during swallowing
- Frequent throat clearing
- Impaired breathing during meals
- Wet, hoarse voice
- Sensing something stuck in throat
- Reflux of food or acid
- Avoidance of eating in the company of others
- Prolonged eating time or inability to finish a meal
- Food avoidance, playing with food, poor oral intake, food wastage
- Unexplained weight loss
In case of any of the above signs or symptoms of dysphagia, complete the EAT-10 self-check. It will help to set up an appointment with a healthcare professional to confirm a diagnosis and initiate care.
* Listed symptoms are not all inclusive; actual patient symptoms may vary.