In care settings having a systematic dysphagia screening program, significantly better patient outcomes were observed*:
- fewer cases of pneumonia (reduced by 55%)
- fewer deaths due to pneumonia (a 43% decrease in mortality)
- shortened hospital length of stay (decreased by 2 days)
- improved hydration and nutrient intakes
*Associated with these outcomes is the potential to reduce costs and improve quality of life
1. Hinchey JA et al. Formal dysphagia screening protocols prevent pneumonia.Stroke. 2005 Sep;36(9):1972-6.
2. Nestlé Nutrition Institute Workshop Series Vol. 72. Stepping stones to living well with Dysphagia. 2012.