Tube feeding and real food: Isosource® Junior Mix, balancing nutritional needs and caregiver aspirations
Transitioning to tube feeding is a difficult experience for your patients and their parents.
Quite often, parents are looking for ways to include real food in their children’s diet, and they come to you for advice on how to include real food while tube feeding.
As a healthcare professional, you want to make sure that your patient's nutritional needs are being met in the most complete and safest manner possible, especially when enteral feeding is required. It is important to ensure that the child get the adequate nutrients he or she needs. Parents desire to include real food ingredients in tube feeding but need to know how to avoid problems of contamination and viscosity that could lead to blockage or infection.
At Nestlé Health Science, we want to provide you and parents with safe and convenient solutions for the best possible nutrition based on ingredients from real food.
What is Isosource® Junior Mix?
Isosource® Junior Mix is a nutritionally complete and safe solution that contains ingredients from real food, for your paediatric patients with feeding difficulties.
It contains a variety of ingredients from real foods, such as peas, green beans, peaches, carrots and chicken.
What are the benefits provided by Isosource® Junior Mix?
Isosource® Junior Mix meets your patient’s nutritional needs as well as their caregivers’ aspirations.
Isosource® Junior Mix:
- Supplies 1.2Kcal/ml, 12% of energy from protein to support lean body mass*
- Contains macro- and micronutrients, especially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of children aged 1 to 10 years**
- Provides a blend of insoluble and soluble fibre to help support normal bowel function
- Is compatible with feeding pump infusion to minimise occlusion risk and related complications
- Has the viscosity and osmolality appropriately designed for tube-feeding and absorption
- Meets food safety requirements
- Contains ingredients from real food, that are easily recognised and familiar
- Is delivered in smart enteral feeding packaging: SmartFlex™
Read more about the different nutritional solutions available for feeding difficulties.
*Made with Halal ingredients
**Based on volume intake of 1 liter for children 1-4 and 1.5 liter for children aged 4 and onwards
HOW MUCH REAL FOOD DOES ISOSOURCE® JUNIOR MIX PROVIDE?
Isosource® Junior Mix provides:
*Per 1500 ml feed
**Based on WHO / FAO and EFSA nutrition intake goals > 400 g/day
- Protein Sources: Milk protein, rehydrated chicken meat, rehydrated vegetables (peas and green beans)
- Oil Blend Sources: Rapeseed oil, high oleic sunflower oil, sunflower oil, medium chain triglycerides, fish oil
- Carbohydrate Sources: Maltodextrin, peach puree, orange juice from concentrate, rehydrated vegetables (peas and green beans)
- Fibre Sources: Pea fibre, fructo-oligosaccharides, acacia gum, inulin, and ingredients from fruits and vegetables
Who can take Isosource® Junior Mix?
Isosource® Junior Mix can be taken by children aged 1 to 10 years old.* It can be the sole source of nutrition for a child requiring tube feeding or can be used as part of homemade blenderised tube feeding, following the recommended recipes and preparation given to you by your healthcare professional.
*Based on volume intake of 1 L for children 1-4 and 1.5 L for children aged 4 and onwards
In addition, your healthcare professional can provide you with an Isosource® Junior Mix guide to help you prepare safe homemade blenderised feeds. Contact your healthcare professional to ask for copies or download a free copy.
What is the nutritional information of Isosource® Junior Mix?
Ingredients from real food:
Rehydrated chicken meat (6.9%), rehydrated vegetables (4.3%) (peas 3.8%, green beans 0.54%), peach puree (1.4%), orange juice from concentrate (1.2%)
Made with Halal ingredients
How should I prepare and store Isosource® Junior Mix?
Dosage: the daily dosage should be adapted based on the medical recommendations given to you by your healthcare professional. The feed should be administered at normal room temperature.
The SmartFlex™ packaging can be stored in a cool and dry place until expiration date labelled on the package. Once open, the formula needs to be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 24 hours.
Where can I find iSOSOURCE® JUNIOR MIX?
Find out where this product is available and discover your local
Nestlé Health Science website
Are you a Healthcare professional or a parent/caregiver?